Lightly-seared Yellowfin (Ahi) tuna steaks, raw in middle, flavoured with pepper
Serves: Total: 15min Prep: 5min Cook: 10min
¾ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper (or a little chili powder)
1 teaspoon whole black peppercorns
2 tablespoons rice bran oil
¼ cup white wine (optional)
- Premix the salt and cayenne pepper. Apply the mix to all sides of the tuna steaks.
- Heat the rice bran oil on medium-high in a non-stick frying pan. Cook the peppercorns in the mixture until they soften and pop, about 5 minutes. Suggest putting a lid on top.
- Gently place the seasoned tuna in the skillet and cook about ½ minute per side for very light searing or longer as desired.
- Remove from heat, let cool, turning the fish often.
- Using a sharp knife, cut the fish cleanly across the grain into 6 mm thick slices and lay on plates.
- Garnish with vegetables.
- Can add white wine to the remaining juices in the pan. Done while hot. Spoon the white wine peppercorn sauce evenly over the sliced fish.