• Prepare the crepes first and set aside.
• Pre-heat the oven to 180C.
• Check the salmon over again for bones and set that aside, too.
• Melt the butter in a medium saucepan on medium heat. Stir in the flour, nutmeg, salt and pepper. Pour in the cream and cook and stir the sauce until it is bubbly and thickened.
• Stir in the wine, then add the cheese. Stir until the cheese is melted, then add the salmon and chives.
• Spread about 1/4 cup of the salmon mixture over the uncooked side of one crepe to within 1/4-inch of the edge. Roll it up, jelly-roll style, and place it seam-side down in a 33x23x5cm baking dish. Repeat for the remaining crepes.
• Spoon the remaining filling over the crepes and garnish with a sprinkling of chives. Cover with foil and bake at 180°C until hot and bubbly, about 20 minutes.
• Serve immediately. Makes 6 servings of 2 crepes each.
• Making the crepes:
• In a medium bowl, beat the flour, milk, eggs, oil, and salt together until well-blended.
• Heat a well-seasoned and lightly greased 6-inch skillet over medium heat. When a drop of water sizzles and bounces on the surface, it's ready.
• Remove the skillet from the heat and pour 2 tablespoons of crepe batter into the skillet. Tilt the skillet in all directions, spreading the batter into a thin, even layer. Return the pan to the heat and cook the crepe about 45-60 seconds, until lightly browned.
• Invert the pan over paper towelling to remove the crepe, with the help of a spatula, if necessary. Or, if prefer, flip the crepe and cook it a few seconds on the other side before removing.
• 500g fresh or canned cooked salmon, boneless and flaked
• 12 Basic Crepes (see recipe below)
• 3 tablespoons butter
• 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
• ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
• ¾ teaspoon salt
• ⅛ teaspoon pepper
• 1½ cups light cream or half-and-half
• ¼ cup dry white wine
• ⅓ cup grated Parmesan cheese
• 1 tablespoon fresh chopped chives, plus garnish
• Makes 16-18 crepes, although the Salmon Crepes recipe above only calls for 12.
• 1 cup all-purpose flour
• 1½ cups milk
• 2 eggs
• 1 tablespoon cooking oil
• ¼ teaspoon salt
- Salmon Crepes
- Salmon Crepes